VCOSS and RMIT University are proud to launch the inaugural RMIT-VCOSS PhD Scholarship. A first of its kind for the Victorian community sector, the scholarship aims to strengthen the sector’s research capacity and improve its ability to support people to overcome disadvantage.
The PhD Scholarship is a key part of the RMIT-VCOSS Partnership launched earlier this year.
The RMIT-VCOSS PhD Scholarship is open to anyone interested in pursuing a research topic relevant to the sustainability of the community sector. It offers successful applicants an RMIT research stipend scholarship (for domestic students) or an RMIT scholarship covering stipend and tuition fees (for international applicants). VCOSS will also provide an additional $10,000 per year to support the successful scholarship holder.
The successful scholarship holder will link their research topic to one or more research themes specified by RMIT and VCOSS. Eight research themes have been identified by the sector and RMIT as priority issues requiring a greater evidence base. It is anticipated that the broadened evidence base provided by the scholarship PhD will greatly benefit community sector organisations in planning for and responding to the social issues and needs of people experiencing disadvantage in their communities. The eight research themes are:
- Place-based approaches to overcoming poverty and disadvantage
- Local area governance arrangements needed for better outcomes for those facing poverty and disadvantage
- Creating integrated service models across universal, secondary and tertiary systems to address and overcome poverty and disadvantage
- The future workforce needs of the community services sector
- Victoria’s changing demographic and the implications for the community services sector
- Effective outcomes measurement to demonstrate the value of services for those facing poverty and disadvantage
- Consumer directed service delivery (e.g. National Disability Insurance Scheme) and its impacts
- Co-design of services with vulnerable service users
Those who are interested in applying, who would like to receive further information, or have any other queries, are encouraged to contact either RMIT or VCOSS:
Associate Professor Martyn Jones
Telephone: +61 3 9925 3788 Email: email@example.com
Associate Professor Paul RamcharanTelephone:
+61 3 9925 3084 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Sayers Deputy CEO VCOSS
Telephone: +61 3 9235 1000 Email: email@example.com